Colorado State University Students Showcase Creations in Fashion, Interior Design for Second Annual Design Days
Colorado State University students will display their apparel and interior design creations as part of Design Days March 24-28 on campus. Design Days highlights work by students in the department of design, merchandising and consumer sciences. The event is held in conjunction with the 25th annual Student Fashion Show and the 11th annual Interior Design Student Expo, and includes two textile and costume exhibits. High-school and community-college students interested in design, merchandising and consumer sciences will visit campus March 24, 25 and 28 as part of Design Days. Activities will include computer-aided design demonstrations, tours of the department’s historic costume collection, classroom visits, fabric-testing demonstrations and much more. "What makes Design Days so exciting is that it’s an example of what the students in the department have done and what the department is all about," said Dawn Mallette, coordinator of Design Days and merchandising instructor. "The weeklong event gives us a chance to highlight some of the great things happening in our department." The two costume exhibits are new additions to this year’s event. "Threads of the World," a global textile exhibition, explores the common threads that connect us all and features textiles with unique patterns, dyeing and embellishment techniques.
"Glitter and Glass of the 1920s" will highlight flashy, sequined clothing of the Roaring ’20s jazz era. The garments featured are a part of the department’s large costume and textile collection. Following is a schedule of events for Design Days:
Mon., March 24
- 12:30-5 p.m., Department visit day for high school and community college students;
- 8-9 p.m., 25th annual Student Fashion Show, Lory Student Center Main Ballroom; Cost is $4 for students and $8 for non-students.
- "Threads of the World" textile exhibit, the Curfman Gallery; The exhibit, which runs through April 4, is free and open to the public. The gallery, located in the Lory Student Center, is open from 8:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Fridays and 1-4 p.m. Saturdays.
Tues., March 25
- 12:30-5 p.m., Department visit day;
- 8-9 p.m., Student Fashion Show, LSC main ballroom;
Thurs., March 27
- 4:30-5:30 p.m., "Glitter and Glass of the 1920s," Room 145 Gifford Building; The exhibit begins with an opening reception and is free and open to the public.
- 7:30-9:30 p.m., "Get Connected," the 11th annual Interior Design Student Expo, Opera Galleria, 123 N. College Ave; The exhibit, which begins with an opening reception, will display winning interior design projects by Colorado State students.
Fri., March 28
- 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Interior Design Student Expo, Opera Galleria.