Colorado State University Announces Spring 1997 Commencement Activities
About 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students will receive their diplomas during Colorado State’s all- university commencement May 17.
Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Ellen Goodman will give the keynote address at the all-university ceremony, scheduled from 9-10:30 a.m. May 17 at Hughes Stadium. Goodmans columns are nationally syndicated, appearing in 440 newspapers across the country. Goodmans work covers a variety of subjects including campus life, family issues, college sports and media.
Diplomas will be given to 2,204 undergraduates, 600 graduates and 145 doctoral graduates. During commencement, 38 students will graduate summa cum laude, 69 students magna cum laude and 146 students cum laude.
In keeping with tradition, each of the university’s eight colleges also will hold convocation ceremonies May 16 and 17 at various campus locations. The College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences will hold two ceremonies, one for undergraduates and another for those receiving professional veterinary medicine degrees.
Following is the time, location and speaker for each of the college commencement ceremonies.
- Professional Veterinary Medical Program, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences: 7 p.m., Moby Arena. Guest speaker is Tony Frank, head of the department of pathology.
- ROTC officers commissioning ceremony: 7 p.m., Lory Student Center Theatre.
- College of Agricultural Sciences: 12:30 p.m., Equine Teaching and Research Center. Guest speaker is Art Hecker, the 1997 Honor Alumnus for the College of Agricultural Sciences.
- College of Applied Human Sciences: 12:30 p.m., Moby Arena. Guest speakers include Keith Miser, vice president for Student Affairs at Colorado State, and Lorie Barker, a graduating senior.
- College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences: undergraduate commencement: 12:30 p.m., Lory Student Center Main Ballroom. Keynote speaker is Mark Howell, assistant professor of microbiology.
- College of Business: 4 p.m., Equine Teaching and Research Center. Keynote speaker is Sen. Peggy Reeves.
- College of Liberal Arts: 4 p.m., Moby Arena. Guest speakers are Morris Burns, professor of music, theater, and dance, and graduating senior Heather Snow.
- College of Natural Resources: 4 p.m., Lory Student Center Main Ballroom. Guest speaker is Chris Pague, director and chief scientist of Colorado Natural Heritage Program.
- College of Engineering: 7:30 p.m., Equine Teaching and Research Center. Guest speaker is Thomas Brubaker, a retiring professor of electrical engineering at Colorado State.
- College of Natural Sciences: 7:30 p.m., Moby Arena. Guest speaker is Chuck Mabry, President of the State Board of Agriculture.
For more information about commencement, call the public relations department at (970) 491-6432.